fredag 7 mars 2008

Writing down the essentials

Part 1

I like to concider myself a writing man. Whenever I clean my room I stumble across poems and stories I wrote way back. Doesn't mean that I'm good at it (I leave that to my readers) but it's something I will always do.

A big proof is that whenever I feel down or up I think about my feelings in a viewers perspective. I am a character in my view of the world. In the story of my life I can do anything. Whenever faced with a dilemma I see the stories of picking route A or B before my eyes. Will our hero choose door 1 or 2?

Before I make up my mind, this is what I do, I go through every single outcome that may come. Shape it into a timeline, make parallels of past experiences, make up the future made upon every decision I make. Process, process, process and in the end everything I do is a story.

That's the wonder of story-telling. Life is a story and a story is your life.

The point of stories would go lost I wasn't Raskalnikov and Raskalnikov wasn't me. In the first chapter of Crime and Punishment he counts the steps between his safe but poor students room towards the house and events that will shape him forever.

Like I said, that's me. I am Holden Caulfield, I am William Lee.
And they are me.

I hold every single outcome.


Part 2

This guy is the bomb, if you haven't you need to pick up a copy of the movie "Slam".



I want my money back. I'm down here drowning in your fat. You got me on my knees praying for everything you lack. I ain't afraid of you. I'm just a victim of your fears. You cower in your tower praying that I'll disappear, I got another plan, one that requires me to stand. On the stage or in the street, don't need no microphone or beat. And when you hear this song, if you ain't dead then sing along. Bang and strum to these here drums til you get where you belong.

1 kommentar:

Peterson Toscano sa...

yummy music, very yummy.

You wrote: "
That's the wonder of story-telling. Life is a story and a story is your life."

This is true for us playwrights too. I find though that I write very little in the traditional sense (on paper or screen) and instead compose out loud, the oral tradition. For me, I find the page and screen restrictive because it does not capture the accent of my voice or the thrust or whispers of the words I speak out.